Wednesday, June 18, 2014

SUMMER SOLTICE: BEST MIXTAPES AND ALBUMS OF 2014 SO FAR

As we approach halftime of the year of our lord in 2014, I would like to share a few tapes and albums I have come across that have made my year very spectacular.

10.   One of the most innovating concepts taken towards a mixtape I have seen in a minute. Lil B has rebounded into my ears a basketball mixtape that is amazing. I really wasn't into the #Basedgod movement at first, but now I see this man is #Based. Keep cookin B.

9. Little Dragon has brought their synth pop wave to a new level once again. Nabuma Rubberband is a very cohesive mix of r&b, rock, electro, soul and a dash of punk. Yukimi Nagano stays making waves and she stays keeping things very fresh.

8.  Chrome Sparks has definitely accomplished great music this year with his Goddess EP, very tranquil mix of drum and bass. Its instrumentation will either have you spaced the fuck out or doing some crazy ass tribal dance. He's definitely on his way up.

7.
 Movement from down under has also kept me hot with these sexy ass tracks. Hailing all the way from Austrailia these boys absolutely know how how to make awesome electronic music. "5:57" is my shit forreals. I hope someone in Texas gets a hold of em and chops and screws that up. Props to Sydney Austrailia.

6. Actress has made a piece of work that has the internets going so crazy. His album entitled "Ghettoville" gives us insane instrumentals that are extremely ambient but with a hip/trip-hop undertone. I either freestyle real slow or get down real low on these tracks.











5.  Ms. Annie don't play no games when it comes to her tracks and thats why St. Vincent has is a real great album. She puts everything into her songs, so much emotion so much instrumentation so much of it all. "Prince Johnny" is what I sing boys to sleep to. Half of the time I'm not exactly sure what or who she sings to or about but lordamercy her music is impeccable. Can't wait to catch a show of hers.

4. You wanna hear some real young n*gga rap, without any bullshit ass hooks, or thot provoking lines that may have you cursing out somebody please bump the fuck out this tape. Casey Veggies and Rockie Fresh have really been doing the damn thing for a while. Let this EP be proof of that. "Fresh Veggies" has everything you need to get the party started and some. This is so good, its not supposed to be on my list because it was out in 2013.

3. Brodinski's lil mix he did for V Magazine gets an honorable mention, this has a lot of hit-worthy artists on there. Brodinski has been under the radar for a minute but he's coming out with more music soon. The Brodinski V Mix is what you need to get right.





2.  I'd be a trifiling ass person if I didn't add Lykke Li to this list. "I Never Learn" has been a total experience everytime I hear it. Heart struck lyrics and melodies man, Lykke really does take you there. From someone who has recently gotten out of a relationship "I Never Learn" resonates very closely to me. Eventhough it may sound like she recorded it in a watering hole, Lykke kept it real cute and intitmate on this 9 track album.



 1.   If you're looking for ambient soothing rock, the Notwist is the way to go. Call me chill, emo or whatever but this album is very much sensitive. A few of these tracks I heard first as remixes for DJ's. (see Ryan Hemsworth's remix of Beyonce's "Mine" ) Alternative rock is still very alive in my culture and Notwist definitely makes a great contribution.

*If you find yourself jamming to any of these albums, holla at a player.

No comments: