Wednesday, May 13, 2015

2015 in a nutshell: Artists, Internet and Television

As we reach the middle of 2015, so many things have surfaced to pop culture. From gender identity, ISIS operations, plastic surgery and Bluebell ice cream recalls one could say this is a year of a different drum. Some years in pop culture seem obscure while others seem like just a blip away. How far have we come? Have we even made a distance? Who the fuck knows, but here are a few things to note:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt 

Whether you have a life or you're extremely anti-social you should take a few hours and indulge in Netflix. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is a great comedic gem about a sheltered woman who finds her voice while living in New York. Ellie Kempner and Titus Burgess deliver hilarity at an all time high. Tina Fey is still grooving and I'm glad she's still making great work.

Reality television is something I love and despise all in the same breath. I love it for obvious reasons, over the top plots, the weird camera angles and scripted yet non-scripted monologues. Lately I've found myself really enjoying VH1's new series, "Barely Famous". The Foster sisters are a crazy duo who take on Hollywood one free Birkin at a time.

Music this year has been interesting, with SXSW come and gone I haven't found myself to cling to any noteworthy albums. But here are a few honorable mentions thus far:


 Party Supplies and Bronsolino do it again in their masterpiece entitled, "Mr. Wonderful" . If you're into gourmet meals and rap this is your album. Cohesion at its finest.

Sremmlife gives a glimpse of the millennial rap that is coming of age. Swae and Slim crank some jams on this album to get you from the club to the gym and on to a new THOT. Who knew Mississippi had more out there?


I've read this shit and heard it a hundred times, but somehow you can't resist it. Mr. Graham keeps that mixtape juice flowing as this is his 4th one. I'm happy he still gives to the EP crowd a very good move by the OVO family.

More importantly, I'm anticipating the release of R8. Which I hope drops soon because summer is coming and if I'm still being force-fed this kinda rap I might as well be a thot in real life.

On the virtual wave, I have found many things of pleasure. My most prized meme at the moment is Pepe. Pepe is a frog of many identities who comes in and takes the lives of plebs and internet trolls. I love him and bless those who keep his image alive in a good way. 

Vive' pepe 


No comments: